What to Do When Your AC Works but Your Furnace Doesn’t
Picture this: your AC has run perfectly all summer long but the temperatures are starting to drop. You try to turn on your furnace on a chilly morning and find it’s not producing heat! You might be confused about how one system can work and not the other. Don’t panic, though. Many homeowners run into the issue of their AC working fine but their heater not kicking in. That’s where Direct Air’s heating service experts come in!
In this blog, we’ll unravel this mysterious heating quirk and offer fast solutions so you can get back to comfort in no time. Keep reading to learn more!
Understanding the Quirk: AC vs Heater
How can an air conditioner work while the heater doesn’t? To better understand this quirk, let’s start with the distinct roles of these systems and the effects of fluctuating temperatures.
- Opposing Principles: Air conditioners remove heat from indoor air and cool it down through a refrigerant cycle. The cool air is then circulated back into your home. Conversely, heaters work by generating warmth through combustion, electric resistance, or heat pumps. They introduce heat into the air to elevate indoor temperatures.
- Natural Differences in Operation: The triggers for ACs and heaters are naturally different. Air conditioners activate when the indoor temperature rises about the set thermostat level. Heaters, on the other hand, activate when the indoor temperature drops below the thermostat setting. Both systems aim to adjust the temperature to the set point.
- Autumn Weather Fluctuations: During the shoulder seasons, such as fall, you might experience warm days and chilly nights. This fluctuation can lead to moments when you need AC during the day and heating at night. Understanding your system’s capabilities and settings is vital.
Common Culprits for Heating Malfunctions
Now, let’s look at some common causes for why your heating system isn’t working but your AC is.
- Thermostat Settings: When the heater won’t turn on, start by checking your thermostat. Sometimes, the thermostat might still be in cooling mode or set to a higher temperature than the current room temperature.
- Circuit Breaker Issues: A tripped circuit breaker can disrupt the electrical supply to your heating system. It’s a common issue that can be easily resolved with the flip of a switch.
- Dirty Air Filters: When air filters become clogged or dirty, you’ll notice weaker airflow and less heat in your home. Regular maintenance, including filter cleaning or replacement every 90 days, is crucial.
Not all heating issues require a call to a repair company! Direct Air is always happy to help, but we understand wanting to avoid unnecessary service calls. Start with these common culprits to eliminate easy DIY fixes. If the issue is more complex, we recommend calling a professional for a heating inspection and repair.
Why Choose Direct Air & Heat in Norman, OK for Heating Service?
At Direct Air, we understand the intricacies of HVAC systems, including air conditioners and heaters. Our experienced technicians are well-versed in diagnosing and resolving heating issues, ensuring your home remains comfortable when you need it most.
As a Norman, OK-based HVAC company, we have local expertise and in-depth knowledge of the unique climate and heating needs in the area.
We also offer 24/7 emergency heating services so you have a reliable company ready to help, round the clock. Our prompt response times make all the difference when you’re in need of fast heating or furnace help.
When you choose Direct Air & Heat, you can rest assured you are working with a team that treats you like family. We believe in providing honest and upfront estimates so you know what to expect in terms of cost.
Know When to Call for Professional Heating Service
In the puzzling scenario of your AC functioning but the heater remaining inactive, several common culprits often lurk behind the scenes. Check the thermostat, circuit breaker and air filters. Many heating issues can be resolved with those three simple steps.
When in doubt, call a professional! And remember: a working AC with a broken heater is a prevalent problem that usually has a simple solution.
Don’t Leave Your Home Comfort to Chance!
if you find that your heating system requires professional attention, don’t hesitate to contact our team online or call 405-778-2896 for 24-hour emergency assistance. Don’t let home comfort mysteries go unsolved – trust Direct Air & Heat for all your heating services.